Updated: Sep 12, 2020
A Complete Guide on How to Write an Impressive Article in 2020 (Uses, format, tips and tricks, types and SEO.)
What is an article?
An article has varied definitions, depending on what you’re writing on. In general, it is a piece of writing, documented in the form of a catalog, blog post, newspaper columns, etc for a targeted audience and readers. An article is written mainly for three purposes:
· Share information
· Share your view regarding any subject, and
· Share suggestions
Why write an article (it’s uses)?
As mentioned previously, the main purposes for writing an article are sharing information, your views, and giving suggestions to a larger audience than yourself. You can write an article for many reasons, some of which are listed below:
· Writing a blog post
· For writing book reviews
· Writing thesis and essays
· Movie reviews and feedback
· Play reviews and feedback
· News and Journals
· Writing about any interesting and trending topics
· Documenting studies
· For magazines, etc.
In short, learning to write and practice articles that are great and impressive is crucial in every field, such as science, language, business, and more.
The general format of writing an article:
Before you begin the article, make sure that the font of the article is right, based on the publishers’ website, where you’re intending to submit your article. Generally, the article or any formal document is written in 12 font, Times New Roman. It may differ based on the bloggers’ choice too. Also, make sure that the topic chosen, is interesting, not only for the targeted audience but also for yourself.
· The title of the article plays a major role in whether or not the audience will indulge in reading it, so make it interesting.
· Make it short, and suitable for the content.
· Make it detailed, the readers should know exactly what they’re looking for while reading your article.
· The introduction of the article or the opening paragraph is all about the background story of your topic.
· Write the reason as to why you’re interested in writing the article, (not for yourself) for the readers.
· Narrow it down to main points. Don’t blabber or write in unnecessary context.
· Make it interesting and short.
· The introduction must pave the way to the main content of the article.
Body of the article:
· Keep in mind the targeted audience as you write the body of the article. You will be able to make it short or lengthy, depending on that factor.
· It should contain all the information you wish to relay to the audience and nothing else.
· Adding pictures can elevate your article, as colors and picturization tend to keep the readers highly interested.
· Make your point or argument in this section, followed by research and data that can back it up.
· The body of the articles can be divided into as many paragraphs as you need, depending on the article, which can later be divided into sub-paragraphs and lists.
· Each of the paragraphs must contain information, your argument, and the research to back them up.
· This will contain a summary of the article in a few lines.
· Any extra information and tips that you’d like to share with your audience.
· Along with it, you will also write down as to what you expect from your reader, once they’ve finished reading it.
Types of articles:
The style of writing an article differs based on the types of articles and is determined by a.) area in which the topic is selected and b.) target audience.
Following are the type of articles that you’d often come across with and often having to write:
1. Review articles
2. News articles
3. Travel articles
5. Fashion and Trends,
7. Study articles (thesis and projects) and
8. Content Repurpose articles
Tips on writing a great article:
· Titles are the game- If you cannot get the viewers intrigued by your title, it’s hardly that they will plan on reading it. So, make sure that the title you choose is interesting for the audience and yourself. Since you will have to work on it for quite some time, the topic must be interesting enough to keep you working on it too.
· Broaden the idea, narrow the content- An article must have all the necessary information without the unnecessary content. Write only what is needed and edit out whatever is not. Look at it in this way: Will cutting out certain lines still keep the validity of the article and not lose any main context? If yes, then edit out those parts.
· Keep it simple- If there’s one thing, any writer would agree on while writing an article is to keep the content simple and understandable. So that anybody that wants to read it, can read it. Avoid overly standardized language in which you plan on writing the article.
· Vocabulary and Grammar check applications- While keeping the writing simple and understandable is a way to go, so is making sure that your grammar and vocabulary is easy and correct. In 2020, it is quite easier, given that there are several applications available to make editing easier for you.
Here’s a few tried and tested applications (free as well as partially free) by me, that will help you in your article writing and its grammar:
3. White Smoke
5. Online Correction
6. Paper Rater
· Edit and re-edit- The basic method of editing an article perfectly is “to sleep on it”. You edit for the first time and let it rest for the night. You come back again to work again on the article the next day, you edit and let it rest another night, and the third day you can finally finish editing the article and then either submit it or publish it on your respective blogs or websites. Here’s why it helps: Every time you let it rest, you either come up with new ideas and the next day you can include them in your article. Or you most probably missed something, be it a fault in spelling or rearrangement of paragraph or sentences, you have a chance to correct them. In this manner, you’re able to edit the article perfectly without feeling frustrated or overworked.
· SEO- This is one of the important factors you need to keep in mind while writing an article. Search Engine Optimization is basically a Google ranking system for your article and posts. While there are several techniques and ways you can make your article rank in the google list, here are the most basic and important ones-
1. Research your article and articles of your competitors.
2. Search for keywords that drive traffic through several websites available.
3. Acquire articles that are ranked higher by Google and study them.
4. Write impressive and high-quality articles.
5. Avoid plagiarism.
(Stay tuned and subscribe to my website, if you want a complete guide to writing SEO articles.)
So, there you have everything you need to know about how to write an impressive and great article. But remember that practice is the key. The more you practice, the better you’re going to get at it. It is definitely not easy, but if you follow the above steps, it’ll get a lot clearer on how you can start writing one.
Subscribe to my email list, if you want to read more such informative content on how to write articles, fiction, essays and so much more!